Aquariums in a house though look beautiful and attractive, but carry with them lots of responsibilities such as cleaning the fish tank, feeding the fishes, etc. There are two types of aquariums:- freshwater aquariums and saltwater aquariums. Saltwater aquariums require more maintenance than freshwater ones but they also look more beautiful. In this guide, we will get to know about maintaining the saltwater aquariums.
How To Maintain A Salt Water Aquarium?
- Check each fish daily and get familiarized with the actions and behavior of each fish. This will help you to recognize if some of the fishes are sick.
- Feed your fishes properly. Feeding saltwater fishes once every two or three days is appropriate. Always make sure that you feed the proper diet to a particular species of fish. Have variations in the diet. Remove uneaten food and then feed the fish.
- Check the temperature of the water. It should be between 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit. If the temperature falls below 75 or rises above 80, the immediately adjust it accordingly.
- Always keep the aquarium full. Top off the evaporated water with De-chlorinated water and also add some calcium to it. Add iodine twice a week to the aquarium. The amount of iodine needed depends on the size of the aquarium.
- Clean the aquarium walls weekly. Scrape the algae from the tank walls once every week. Rinse the filter to prevent the system from clogging.
- Test the water every two weeks. Check the levels of chemicals such as calcium and ammonia, along with other chemicals such as nitrates and nitrites. Also check the pH level of the water. You also need to check the level of copper if you have any invertebrates. Test the alkalinity every month. If any of these is not in a proper range, you may need to change the water or add a balancing chemical to the water.
- Do routine water changes. Remove about 20-25 percent water every week and add fresh De-chlorinated water to it. The process of routine water changes helps to keep chemical levels in your tank balanced. Siphon the debris from the gravel when you change the water.
- Establish a regular maintenance routine to keep your saltwater aquarium running in its optimum condition. By establishing a maintenance routine and cleaning the saltwater aquarium filtration system, the aquarium should develop into a stable ecosystem.
Jake Dickson is the co-founder of a local locksmith company in Broward County, Florida. If you are looking for affordable, reliable and local Locksmith Parkland FL, Locksmith Fort Lauderdale FL and Locksmith Lauderhill FL – Call us today!